Can laxatives used in early pregnancy harm the baby?
There is no evidence that the laxatives used in early pregnancy harm baby.
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I appreciate your concerns.
Most of the laxatives are safe during pregnancy because they are not absorbed into the body. So do not worry. There is no evidence that the laxatives used in early pregnancy harm the baby.
Laxatives like Codliver oil are not advised as they interfere with absorption of vitamins.
If you are still suffering from constipation, start taking high fibre diet. Drink plenty of water. Exercise mildly ( walking, casual bike ride).
I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, do write to me.
No evidence in the literature that Senna causes miscarriage.
Senna may cause uterine contractions, resulting in preterm delivery when used in late pregnancy. There is no evidence in the literature that Senna when used in early pregnancy causes miscarriage. When used orally its action is worn off in 3-4 days time. If used rectally it has a much shorter duration of action.
By now all Senna may be excreted from your body. So there is no need to panic.
If you have further concerns, do write to me. Best wishes,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Early pregnancy had taken norethisterone will it harm the baby
- Laxatives during early pregnancy
- Use of gestranol in early pregnancy
- Use of penicillin in early pregnancy
- Use of ampliclox and early pregnancy
- Use of zincovit in early pregnancy
- Cremaffin laxative durin early pregnancy
- Progesterone use in early pregnancy
- Early pregnancy and laxatives
- Can dydrogesterone in early pregnancy harm the baby?
- What causes cramps and menstruation once in sex months?
- What causes bleeding after sexual intercourse?
- How to confirm date of conception?
- Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?
- Is it safe to start antibiotics before the labour starts?
- What causes early period after having Postinor-2?
- Can TSH test be done after breakfast?
- suggest treatment for symptoms of prolapse of vaginal wall or uterus
- What causes upper abdominal pain during pregnancy?
- Does prolactin level in my blood report indicate pregnancy?