Can laser surgery for varicose veins cause lot of pain?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I am diagnosed with vericose veins by Dr Kamerkar at XXXXXXX Hall Clinic in XXXXXXX

He recommended me to undergo a laser surgery (Right SSV Laser Ablation) which will solve the problem.

Recently I understand from one of my relatives that she also underwent a laser surgery couple of years back for vercose veins and faced a lot of pain post the surgery for few days. I am worried if that is a general case.

Please advise if it is uncommon or not.

Also please let me know what will be the issues that I might face if do not undergo this surgery and continue to live with this problem.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
pain can be managed with painkillers

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

I have read your query and understand your concern.

First thing, surgery is advised for you. As if you leave this as it is, it will increase in size and will lead to pain and swelling and blackening of the lower leg. Then ulcers may develop around the ankle region which will be difficult to heal. Also these dilated veins have very thin wall and the skin over it is also thinned out due to stretching. And even minor trauma to it can lead to profuse bleeding.

So to prevent all these, its better to go for surgery.

Now about the surgery. All surgery, conventional or laser, will cause pain for a few days. But pain can easily be managed with painkillers - NSAIDs or opoids or a combination of them, depending upon your sensitivity. That is not at all an issue.

Laser surgery has a shorter recovery time compared to the conventional.

But, as i have seen in your reports, there is perforator incompetence in the LSV also. And you are going for the SSV only. So after some time, you will have to get the LSV operated too. So don't be under the impression that this SSV surgery will cure your whole of the leg.

Its just that the SSV is affected more as compared to thr LSV, the SSV is being operated first.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Follow-up: Can laser surgery for varicose veins cause lot of pain? 14 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for a detailed response on the query. Highly appreciated.

I have some more questions, I hope you would not mind :)

1. Is LSV and GSV the same, i mean the report talks about SSV and GSV and doesnt talk about LSV anywhere; wanted to confirm there is no typo here :)

2. Can I not get both the veins operated in one go? So that I dont have to go thru the surgery trauma twice and it will cure my whole leg in one go

3. Any advice on how much does the laser surgery cost? Cost for just SSV ablation and cost for both veins SSV and LSV? The current estimate given to me is approx 70,000 for the SSV ablation and one day of hospitalization.

-Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes they are same

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes LSV (Long saphenous vein) and GSV ( Great saphenous vein) are one and the same.

And yes, both GSV and SSV can be operated in the same sitting. You need to discuss that with your operating surgeon.

And the cost would esclate by about 30000-50000 Rs. if you are going for both, and the hospital stay usually remains one day only, but may extend for one day more in some cases, depending upon intraoperative and postoperative events.

Dr. Ashish Verma