Can laser hair removal affect beauty marks?

Posted on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello can laser hair removal affet beauty marks? I did my first session of hair removal on my arms and I saw that one of my small beauty mark has raised a bit , I see it a bit swollen. Also can it also create problems with lynfonoids if sone in under armpit and intomate areas? How many researches are out there of the safety of hair removal? Pleas let me know Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 12 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. There is no harm in doing laser over moles if its not suspicious. Lasers can be safely done over small flat moles or freckles and might fade them too. However laser done over large moles may burn it, may cause inflammation, swelling or scabbing. That is why sometimes we cover the mole while doing lasers. Just apply a steroid antibiotic cream over swollen mole and it would heal in few days. Lasers are quite safe for axillary and pubic hair reduction and do not inflamme or enlarge lymph nodes in these areas.The lymph nodes might enlarge only if, post laser any infection like boils develop in the area. Any infection may only occur in the area if the laser hair reduction was not done hygienically. Laser hair reduction is a well known, widely used and US FDA approved treatment for excessive hair growth. US FDA only approves treatments That are beneficial and completely safe. So you can continue your sessions of laser hair reduction. Hope this helped. Take care
Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist