Can knee replacement be avoided when discomfort is minimal with a knee brace?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have just received 8 small boxes of 1 x30 gram tubes of Lidocaine and Prilocaine Cream. I do not any skin eruptions and only minor swelling on right knee. Planning to take RX back to Pharmacy because I don't think needed. Your advice?

As I said before, I received a box of RX yesterday. Additional meds are Fluocinonide cream 0.05%, Xyzbac , Naproxen SOD 500mg (may need0 Cyclobenzapr 7.5MG. I have joint weakness and some pain. The Doctor has recommended knee replacement. When I wear elastic knee brace I have very little discomfort. Trying to avoid any replacement surgery at this time. Your advice.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid surgery

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

I absolutely agree with you.You should definitely avoid knee replacement surgery at this age as you have very little discomfort.

Such minimal pain can be managed by safe analgesics like tramadol,etodolac etc.

Application of local sprays/gels followed by physiotherapy(knee mobilisation exercises,short wave diathermy,hot fomentation) will help.

Avoid squatting and sitting cross legged.

You can continue wearing knee braces while ambulating.

Take Calcium/vitamin D tablets for joint weakness.
Tablets of diacerin/glucosamine,MSM and chondroitin sulfate have beneficial effects on the knee cartilage and can be taken once a day for 3 months to arrest the progression of osteoarthritis of knee.

Regarding the tubes of Lidocaine/Prilocaine cream,you can take RX back to pharmacy as they are not needed at present.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Feel free to ask me any doubts that you may have.

If you have an Xray/MRI of the knee,try uploading here,so that i can guide you better.

Thank you.
Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Please address my need for Xyzbac tablets (2 bottles of 30 tablets) and Fluocinonide Cream. Thank you for your candid advice.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue xyzbac

Detailed Answer:

You can continue taking Xyzbac tablets.

Fluocinonide cream is a corticosteroid cream and its use should be limited.
Use it only if you have skin allergy or itching.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T