Can kidney stone procedure cause sciatica?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had a kidney stone surgery (ureteroscopy with cystoscopy and stent placement) in feb. A 4mm stone was taken out of my left kidney-- after the surgery i had stent in for 5 days. 2 days after stent was taken out- i started feeling left leg pain- the drs diagnosed it as sciatica. Since then I have been experiencing leg pains- started with left leg first and progressed to right leg too over the course of 5 months. Can kidney stone procedure could be possible cause for sciatica?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kidney stone surgery will not cause sciatica

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone Ureteroscopy and Stenting for removal of Kidney stone and since then you have pain in both the legs.which you have doubt to be due to this surgery.

At the outset I would state that endoscopic procedure(URS) for removal of stone will never be a cause for sciatica.It is just a coincidence you got this after the surgery.

I have gone through the discussions and opinions that you have with Neurologist and Orthopaedic surgeon on this forum.

I would suggest you to follow advice of Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions pertaining to my speciality I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.