Can intense pain in the back and hip be due to a relapse of rheumatoid arthritis?
May need fresh anticcp levels and Xray hip and lumbar spine
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.
Based on the history you have shared, it can be a relapse or flare of RA as it can involve sacroiliac joint and may present the way you have been experiencing though since using immunosuppressive treatment for RA may increase chances of underlying infection so possibility of underlying soft tissue infections like psoas abcess should also be ruled out.
X-ray Hip joint as well as lumbar spine should be done to start with and if needed CT scan of pelvis and lumbar spine may also be needed.
For RA control, fresh anticcp levels should be repeated to monitor disease activity and repeat follow up with rheumatologist should be sought for optimization of disease modifying anti rheumatoid drugs. Meanwhile OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen as you already on should be continued.
For more severe pains potent analgesics like tramadol, or gabapentin may also be needed. CT will rule out other possibilities like related to pelvic viscera as you suspected to be among possibilities.
Supplements for calcium, D3 and bisphonates should be continued alongwith anti rheumatoid drugs.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pain relievers for rheumatoid arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis hip replacement
- Rheumatoid arthritis pain relief drugs
- Suggest treatment for rheumatoid arthritis pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis pain control
- Rheumatoid arthritis and pelvic pain
- How to reduce the pain of rheumatoid arthritis
- Pain treatment for rheumatoid arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis wrist stabbing pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis foot pain
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?