question-icon

Can inhalation of kerosene cause any significant harm?

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018
Question: I live in XXXXXXX home, and have had problems with my furance. I just had it cleaned and looked at. It definitely has damage to it, and I need a new furnace. In the meantime, the kerosene smell is really bad. Is this causing physical harm till the new one is put in?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
No significant harm. Just ensure that you have the windows open.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Kerosene is a known cause of indoor air pollution. You therefore need to ensure a good ventilation in case you want to use kerosene for the time being. Kerosene can have a damaging effect on the lungs and so it would be advisable to limit its use. Nevertheless, if used for just a couple of days before you can make alternative arrangements, it should not be a big deal.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha