Can inflammation in the body cause sciatica and bursitis?

Posted on Fri, 19 Dec 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had a high ESR for several momths. I have had three bouts of TMJ, which I have stopped with the use of Naproxin. Just recently after several weeks of increasing aches/pain in my right leg and hip, I came down with excruciating pain in right leg. I was diagnosed with sciatica and bursitis, and was put on Naproxin. Within 3 days my aches /pain has gone away.
The question is since my ESR has been between 18 and now is at 25, Are these outbreaks of TMJ and sciatica and bursitis,a response to the high inflammation in my body, and what can the cause of my high inflammation be. If I do not get the inflammation down, what else can happen, and can the two recent outbreaks keep on re occuring, as well as some new types of outbreaks
Answered by Dr. Arun 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide information to help you further..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
I understand your concern.
I am Dr. Arun Tank, infectious disease specialist, answering your concern.

What is your highest ESR tested? Have you been having any headache with the TMJ bouts? Have you investigated your self for any kind of biopsy? If you have any other reports related to inflammation kindly attach with reply.

Glad to answer your further concern contact me on bit.ly/DrArun
We wish you a best health at healthcare magic.
Thank you,
Dr. Arun Tank
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Arun 4 days later
I did not have headaches with the TMJ. I have not had or requested any biopsys My highest ESR has been 28
Answered by Dr. Arun 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like syndrome,prednisolone helps under Dr ad

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like a kind of syndrome which associated with giant cell arteritis and sciatica in you.

In this syndrome along with temporal arteritis sciatica is also noticed. ESR remains somewhat higher in such syndromes.

You should visit the nearby hospital and get yourself examined and diagnosed. It requires more of physical examination than of history to rule out the syndrome.

You can continue with naproxen and as and when required low dose steroids under your doctor’s guidance.

Exact cause of the syndrome is not known, but somehow genetic factors can play role.

So you have minimized the stimuli which aggravate the symptoms.

Please ask me further query.
Thank you,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Arun

Infectious Diseases Specialist