Can inflammation cause heart palpitations?
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
Palpitation is awareness of your own heart beat. It can be due to increased or decreased rate of heart beats or increased force with which heart is beating. The later happens when there is more volume than normal in heart to pump, either as a result of increased blood volume or a leaky valve where the pumped blood leaks through valve in filling chamber also.
Inflammation is usually (but not exclusively) due to infection. It leads to protective cells of the body to the site of infection. These cells secrete substances which raise the temperature of the body, thereby increasing the demand of individual organs for their function. More blood is required by these organs to function. Total blood volume is constant so heart has to beat fast to XXXXXXX the needs of body, we may perceive this as palpitation. Thus inflammation can lead to palpitation. I hope that answers your primary question, if there is a supplementary I will be only too happy to try to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ketones causing heart palpitations
- Creatine cause heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations caused by gastritis
- Warfarin causing heart palpitations
- Inflammation that causes heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations caused by sprintec
- Heart palpitations causing insomnia
- Onion causing heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations caused by sneezing
- Heart palpitations cause coughing
- Had lipoma removed. Taking amlodipine to control BP and diclofenlic...
- Depression and irritability. On beta blockers and lisinopril for...
- Shivers and vomiting white substance. Taken combiflam. Am I okay?
- Irritated throat in a smoker. Currently on citalopram for anxiety. Is it...
- Chest pains in the morning. Dr did ECG, all normal, gave Dexilant....
- Different blood pressure readings on both hands. Is it normal? Family...
- Hypothyroidiam, reflux problem, anxiety, shoulder pain. How accurate is...
- Tightness in calves, forearm constricted with red spots. Issue with...
- Done cholesterol test, prescribed Rosuvas. Worried about side effects of...
- Ankles swollen, vein swollen on forehead after a flight. Why did it...