Can infection on arm cause the positive drug test?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Drug Abuse
Question: hi, I had a urine drug test the other day for probabtion. it came up positive for heroin. which im on the methodone clinic and haven't taken heroin for a few weeks.. but what I do still have is some huge infections in my arm that have blood and actual drugs in them.. I can actually suck drugs back out of my arm. could that b the result of my positive (herion) drug(urine) test?? used $150 worth of heroin daily for 1 yr..
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes postive test can be due to infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

As you told you are on methadone treatment , urine test may be false positive for heroin due to that.

But yes if you have taken injectable drugs and infection in your arm at that site which contains drug, there is chance of slowly releasing of that drug in to blood and urine tests comes positive.

So take treatment medical or if necessary surgical for that infection and then go for test.

And continue your motivation for not having heroin again in your life.
All the best.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad