Can infected adenoids cause bad smell from ear?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: can infected adenoids cause bad smell from ear
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
more details madam

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic,

I will need a few more details in order to analyse your complaints better.
1) Any history of ear discharge, any other complaints in the ear,
2) Any sinus complaints.
3) Any throat complaints.
4) Details of all the complaints mentioned above like duration, severity, any treatment recieved, response to treatment, complications etc.

Awaiting your response,
Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 days later
ear infection historywith bad smell coming from ear, sinus infection with very bad odor from nose, sometimes post nasal drip
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
adenoids not the cause for your problems

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and thanks for the details,

Adenoids regress in size and disappear by the time one turns 15 years old, so adenoids are not the cause for your problems.

I suggest you get the ear discgarge tested for culture and sensitvity in order to recognise the infecting organism and also to find the antibiotic it is sensitive to. Also unsafe variety of ear infection can also produce foul smelling ear discharge. Please see an ENT doctor for a proper diagnosis and investigations. Till then keep your ears dry and do not probe your ears.

Sinus infection can cause bad smell from the nose. It usually happens when there are anaerobic organisms in the sinus. Appropriate antibiotics and decongestant nose drops will be required to clear a sinus infection. Till you see an ENT for the same you can start decongestant nose drops on your own, they are available over the counter. Instill 3 drops of otrivin nose drops in each nostril 3 times a day and follow it up with steam inhalation.

Rememeber to drink plenty of water and avoid air conditioning.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju