Can infants be around someone getting radiation?
My father undergone the PET CT scan @11.30 Am today .Doctor advised to don't stay with baby for 24 hrs due to some radiated medicine are injected.But unfortunately he stayed with my baby who was just 3 month old for 5 mins @ 1PM .is it cause any problem to my baby?
The risk is low
Thanks for asking the query.
I can understand your concern.Yes it is advisable,not to accompany a child with an adult while going for PET scan due to possibility of radiation exposure.
The radiation exposure to the accompanying child/person is very low in comparison to the patient and the risk decreases further as the time elapses.
So although there is possibility of radiation exposure but as the baby was not there at the time of procedure and that too for very short duration i don't think there is much to worry.
I don't think that he needs a pediatrician consultation
Thanks for follow up
I am sorry for delayed reply.
As there is no history of direct exposure to the radiation and baby is asymptomatic.Even if you visit a pediatrician there is nothing much to do.So
I don't think that there is much for worry or any need of pediatrician's consultation.
Please consult a gastro surgeon
Thanks for follow up
I am sorry to say that I am a pediatrician (child specialist)and can not help much in this condition.
I request you to consult a gastro surgeon for better opinion.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Dna and radiation
- Radiation for thyroid
- How to get taste back after radiation
- Iodine for radiation
- The radiation pill
- Radiating headache
- Temodar and radiation
- Radiation treatments affecting infants
- How to get rid of the blood taste in throat after radiation and chemotherapy
- Radiation for hyperthyroidism
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting