Can improper use of vaccum cause an embolic stroke during labor?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Can an embolic stroke during labor and delivery be from improper use of a vacuum
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

It is possible.

Detailed Answer:

Forcepses and vacuum extractors during delivery may cause a stroke to the baby with two possible mechanisms:

1- hemorrhagic stroke by direct trauma.

2- ischemic stroke when brain arteries are blocked by a clot, which can also happen from the use of forceps and vacuum extractors.

So, it is possible that vacuum use during labor to cause a stroke.

Improper use may increase this possibility, but normal use also may cause the stroke.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Would you be willing to look at my daughter's medical history and tell me what kind of stroke it was and if the vacuum could have caused it. I will of course pay you.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Okay, you can provide the necessary information.

Detailed Answer:

Of course I would look at your daughter's medical history and examinations.

Please provide the necessary information and tests.

I must say that it's difficult to evaluate correctly if the stroke was caused by the improper use or not of the vacuum.

Anyway I will certainly provide my honest opinion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 50 minutes later
All I need to know is if it was possible. I will get you all the necessary medical records. Where can I send them?

Do you have an office number? Or can we sit and meet?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

You can provide the necessary data here only

Detailed Answer:

You can provide the medical history of your daughter in details here only.

Tests such imaging studies reports and other reports you can also post here attached as pictures.

There's a 'REPORTS Section' in this web-page where you can simply upload/attach those scan/soft copies of the reports so that I can review them.

Imaging studies (DICOM files) you may upload to the google drive and you can provide the link here.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 5 days later
Here are some of my daughter's medical records. Can you tell me what type of stroke she might have had?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 17 hours later
Brief Answer:

Comments below.

Detailed Answer:

From the imaging studies that you uploaded, it is clear that the infarction was on the territory of the left middle cerebral artery.

These infarctions may be of cardiac origin (thrombus), of arterial anomaly ( narrowed artery ), or traumatic ( dissected artery).

Blood tests for thrombosis seem to be inconclusive, so, thrombosis seems to be unlikely.

However, cardiac workup ( mainly ultrasound ) is necessary to detect any anomaly.

Vascular anomalies and a possible artery dissection are evaluated correctly by vascular imaging studies such angio magnetic resonance, DSA (digital subtracting arteriography).

If your daughter had any vascular imaging studies done, please provide the images or the reports.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Erion Spaho, Neurologist, Surgical