Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Can i use the FDA's expanded access program to obtain an RX?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
I'm inquiring on behalf of my 24 year old daughter but am filling out the questions for me. The diabetic pump is used to infuse insulin to diabetics. That same pump is being used successfully in England (see Professor XXXXXXX Hindmarsh of Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in the UK) & other parts of the world to infuse cortisol consistently (more closely matching the natural body rhythms) to CAH patients who are adrenal insufficient. 1) Do you know if I can use the FDA's Expanded Access Program to obtain an RX for the pump and supplies, including liquid solo-cortef. 2) Would you be willing to write the RX for this off label use to not only improve quality of life, but also eliminate unnecessary ER visits and reduce unnecessary and costly specialists and very painful unnecessary testing?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Difficult Detailed Answer: I am sorry to note the cumbersome issues you have to deal with. I will not be able to prescribe this though. I dont know any endocrinologist who will either. These are experimental therapies. Your best chance is to contact top academic centers like Joslin clinic, Mayo clinic, Johns XXXXXXX Mass Gen hospital and the like, to see if any of their endocrinologists will consider this proposal. I have seen the attached medication list. I am aware of products under development that aim to replicate the body's natural production of cortisol. Hopefully someday simpler regimens not very different from the body's way of making cortisol will become commercially available.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor