• question-icon

Can i use saline spray along with Bacitracin?

Posted on Mon, 27 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a nose cauterization done at our hospital and after the Dr. done the procedure he told me not to use an saline spray in it but to get a humidifier. I know that it's going to get dry in my nose and probably crack open again and start bleeding, how do i apply the bacitracin and can i use a saline spray?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your surgeon wanted to avoid pressure injury to the healing tissue.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns.

If you remain in an environment where humidity is properly adjusted by a humidifier, there will be no cracks and no dryness in the operated tissue area. There are more chances for you to induce bleeding by pressure of the nasal spray directly applied to the tissue, or the scratching of the bottle nozzle along the tissue lining. You need to keep the crust there to heal and bleeding not to start again.

Bacitracin (he gave you as a topical ointment/cream i think) and it will not cause any such hazards, and also the benefits overweigh the risks. Also no alternative more effective than it. But for moisture we have a humidifier as an alternative.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns. I will be happy to get back to you shortly. If satisfied here, please give a five star rating and don't forget to close the discussion.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Muhammad Hanif