Can i use glyaha koj lotion for skin fairness?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, I have used melacare for less than a month and now want to shift to gly aha koj lotion for skin lightening. Can I do so? And can glyaha koj lotion be used for a long time without any adverse side effects due to hydroquinone in it?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Adverse effects of hydroquinone

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are concerned about the side effects of hydroquinone in the creams you are using.

First of all, Melacare should not be used as a cream to obtain "fairness". It contains mometasone, a mid- potent steroid, which can cause skin whitening and skin thinning as an adverse effect. It should only be used under the supervision of a dermatologist and only for short contact for 2-4 weeks.

Since you have used it for less than a month and have realized the need to change to another cream, it is good.

Hydroquinone also has adverse effects when used for prolonged periods. It could cause " rebound hyperpigmentation" and " Ochronosis".
Due to this, the pigmentation worsens after a certain period of use, usually after 4 months. Hence, this is a drug to be used with caution and under the supervision of a dermatologist.

If you are interested in lightening you complexion, you need to note a few points-

Your skin tone is determined at the time of your birth itself and it is decided by the concentration of melanocytes and the blood circulation. Therefore any treatment or procedures can never make you fairer than what you were at the time of birth.

But most of the people will acquire more pigmentation as age increases, we call it facultative pigmentation. Lot of factors determine it, most important being sunlight, others include dust, pollution, smoking, less hydration, intrinsic ageing and free radical damage, stress etc.

Treatments should be to bring your pigmented skin back to your normal skin tone and make the skin tone even all over the face.

I would recommend you the following-
1. Use a face wash twice a day, ideally one containing glycolic acid as it helps in exfoliation and to even out the skin tone.

2. The most important product will be a sunscreen. Half an hour before going out apply a sunscreen ( eg: Neutrogena Ultrasheer Dry touch sunblock available in leading cosmetic shops) and reapply it every three to four hours. You may apply a compact powder over the sunscreen so that there is a XXXXXXX finish.

3. At night you may apply a lightening cream containing 2 - 4 % kojic acid without hydroquinone or any steroid over the face before going to sleep.

4. You could also use vitamin C containing serums at bedtime.

5. You may consult a dermatologist practicing cosmetology for few sittings of chemical peels for faster improvement.

6. You could also benefit from oral glutathione and Vitamin C capsules available by the prescription of a dermatologist.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Can i use glyaha koj lotion for skin fairness? 5 minutes later
Um no I used melacare for reducing over pigmentation on my neck, now it reduced and looks better. For maintain it I wanted to shift to gly aha koj. And my skin color is fair but due to continuous sun exposure my face and neck and hands became dark.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use plain kojic acid

Detailed Answer:

Greetings!

Melacare is one of the most abused cream in XXXXXXX That is the reason I informed you about the side effects and the process of pigmentation.

If the pigmentation on your neck has improved, I suggest that you shift to a cream containing plain kojic acid and avoid hydroquinone for maintenance.

If sunlight is the culprit for the pigmentation, then the most important treatment as I have mentioned above would be a good sunscreen.

You could also consider glycolic acid based peels.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Can i use glyaha koj lotion for skin fairness? 2 hours later
Okay so can I use glyaha koj lotion? I actually needed a second opinion since I already did consult a derma and she said gkyaha koj motion is safe and has no adverse side effects and can he used over the counter since it has only 2% hudroquione and kojic. She also said it is safe as long as I don't orally consume hydroquinone or use in heavy dosages.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can use under supervision

Detailed Answer:

You can use hydroquinone under supervision of a dermatologist.

I generally do not give it for more than 3-4 months.

However, if you are consulting a dermatologist, she can monitor for side effects of hydroquinone.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Johny Chacko