Can i take St John's wort while on Seroquel?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Dear doctor , thanks for your answer. I WONDER IF I CAN TAKE while on Seroquel, a drop combination of Valerian, St John's wort, hops, gotu cola,Bach flowers remedies, white chesnut, Gentian and hornbeam, Thank you very much for your help
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No major drug interactions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Thanks for approaching me with a direct query.

I have checked all the possible drug interactions in the literature between seroquel and herbal preparations which you have mentioned.

St John's wort can have some drug interactions with seroquel. It can affect the metabolism of seroquel and thus decrease its effects.

My opinion would be that you can safely take these herbal preparations with seroquel.
However, it would be safest if you take these herbs after quitting. This will ensure that there are not even slightest chances of drug interactions.

Hope this answers your query satisfactorily.

I wish you well.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
thanks doctor for your answer. After quitting Seroquel how long I have to wait for to start with the natural medication?.The problem with Seroquel is the hangover feeling the day after .I feel unwell all day long.Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can take natural drugs immediately after stopping.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

You can immediately start the natural medication after you quit seroquel.

You are taking 50mg seroquel which a low dose. It will be washed from your system quickly.

I wish you well.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 16 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your answer. I woud like to know what you mean with:it will be washed from your system quickly. By the way, what the difference between Seroquel and mirtazapine. Because of hangover from Seroquel tonighgt I won't take it. What are you think i8f for tonight I take mirtazapine , In thed past my doctor gave me mirtazapine for sleeping. Thanks again for your help.
Brief Answer:
can take mirtazapine instead.

Detailed Answer:
Drug is stored in fatty tissues of body
After stopping any drug, it may take 2-3 days for a drug to leave your body completely.

Seroquel is an antipsychotic whereas mirtazapine is an antidepressant. Both cause sedation and can be used in insomnia.

I have seen patients complaining of hangover with mirtazapine as well.

If this suited you in past, you can take mirtazapine as well.

Thanks.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 36 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your advise. One last question, I wonder if I can take mirtazapine now it's quarter to eleven pm (fisteen to eleven pm) I don't go to bed before midnight tonight. It is possible to take late in the night, what are you think about that.Thanks you very much.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
take mirtazapine one hour before bed.

Detailed Answer:
In my opinion, You can take mirtazapine one hour before bed.

It has rapid onset of action.

It should make you sleep within 1 hour of taking the drug.

Hope my responses were of some help to you.

Thanks.