Can i take Amberen along with Plavix?

Question
can amberen be taken if i am on plavix. i have had 3 TIA's and when younger have had blood clots due to birth control. If not amberen then what can i do to stop or have less hot flashes? They are causing me to be nauseous and have bad headaches.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
products are not approved by USFDA

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
The products you have been using are some synthetic or natural product which are not approved by US FDA for any treatment related use. If there is a spelling mistake in the name of the drug, please let me know.

You are having Plavix, which is an antiplatelet medication and should be continued as you were having TIA.
Regarding the hot flush problem, I should tell you that this problem is very common in women of your age group (perimenopausal women). This is because of the fluctuating hormone levels during or immediately after menopause.
Hormone replacement therapies are their that may help you out with the problems faced during this period.
Also, anxiety sometimes pose similar problems. Therefore, you should avoid any form of emotional stress and have relaxation session for at least 30 min./day. Anti anxiety medications may be needed if symptoms persist or increases.
I also advice my patients to have escitalopram at a dose of 10 mg/day to get relief from hot flush due to reasons similar to that of yours. However, you should consult your local gynaecologist who will help you out with the hormone replacement therapy, that helps a lot in this period.
You need to have the following tests done-
Fasting plasma glucose, HbA1c, Fasting TSH, Urine R/E, ECG
Furthermore, I should also tell you that, as you were having TIAs, you should strictly maintain dietary restrictions.
A salt restricted (<5g/d) fat restricted high fiber diet should be taken.
If possible exercise or yoga for 30 min./day will help you stay in good health.
Best wishes for your good health.
For any further query please write back.
If you are satisfied with my answer, please close the thread and rate my answer.
Dr. Kaushik