Can i start drinking alcohol inspite of stopping xanax?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I had been on 0.5 mg xanor slow release for 5 days , then asked by my dr to drop to 0,25 mg per day for 5 days . Which i did . I then took 1 0.25 mg per day for 2 days and then 0.125 mg morning and night for 3 days . I have not taken any for the last 72 hrs . withdrawals are not too bad . When can i start drinking alcohol again ?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can start

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Elimination half life of alprazolam is 6 to 20 hours (average 12 hours). A drug need five half life to move out of body completely. That's mean, xanax would take 2 to 3 days to move out of body completely. If you haven't taken it for last three days, that's mean, it is out of body. Now you can enjoy your drink.

In case, you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can i start drinking alcohol inspite of stopping xanax? 9 minutes later
Although off the alzam , and the dose low . I have experienced mil dish withdrawals . How long do these last

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal would over in 2 to 3 days

Detailed Answer:
Hi

At such a low dose, whatever withdrawal you get, that will not stay for more than 2 to 3 days. With time, you would feel better.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can i start drinking alcohol inspite of stopping xanax? 1 hour later
How long before the annoying burping stops ?

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In few days, it would improve

Detailed Answer:
HI

Burping is mild withdrawal symptoms with xanax. Very few people (1%) feel this symptom as withdrawal. Nothing to worry about it. In few days (one or two), it would subside. Just relax. Sometime, stress also leads such kind of gastric complaints.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can i start drinking alcohol inspite of stopping xanax? 21 hours later
Seems to have been a better day yesterday and today withdrawals are down . Just not completely relaxed feeling tensed . Will this also pass shortly as one of the symptoms ?

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It would resolve in few days

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have already told you, at such a low dose, you would not get much withdrawal. If you remain tense, then you would not able to relax yourself. You could feel psychological anxiety that would mismatch with withdrawal. Remember one thing, our body activity depends upon our thoughts. If you remain tense, then your body would. So, just stay calm and relax. You would be fine in a day.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can i start drinking alcohol inspite of stopping xanax? 3 hours later
Thank you . You have been very helpful

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Thanks. Its my pleasure to help you.

Dr Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can i start drinking alcohol inspite of stopping xanax? 6 hours later
Been suffering with hot flushes and insomnia tonight . Off the last 0.125 mg tab for 102 hrs . Even though my dosage was low and period of use was around 3 weeks .

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can try some relaxation exercise

Detailed Answer:
Hi

No one gets dependence of benzodiazepine in three weeks. Sometime, after taking alprazolam, patient feels sleep problem. Nothing to worry about that. You can try some relaxation exercise like JPMR or deep breathing. That would help to keep you relax and get sound sleep.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Can i start drinking alcohol inspite of stopping xanax? 45 hours later
Good day dr

Today is day 7 off the Xanax . I seem to be having anxiety . Is this still a possible withdrawl symptom?

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try sedative antidepressant

Detailed Answer:
Hi

No, it can't be withdrawal. It is underline anxiety. You may be tense due to benzodiazepine. That could be the reason in your case. Better to try some low dose sedative antidepressant like mirtazapine or trazodone. It would help you to get sound sleep and come out of anxiety phase.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist