Can i ride bike after healing of broken joints?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I tripped and fractured my ankle and had surgery. I am a Type I diabetic and i have osteoporosis. Prior to the ankle fracture I loved riding an elliptical and recumbent bike. can I expect to use the equipment once my ankle heals. i broke 3 bones (charcot joint) in L ankle and little toe on
R foot.
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Charcot joint fracture requires more time to heal

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully; healing times after surgery in Charcot joint may be twice the usual duration than for a non-diabetic foot. But after bone union has occurred and with regular exercises, I am sure you will have the same ankle strength and movement as prior to fracture.
My suggestion for you would be talk to your doctor regarding treatment for osteoporosis if not discussed earlier. Today we have following options-
1. Calcitonin nasal spray (Rock bone C nasal spray).
2. Once a year injection of zoldronic acid, once a month tablet of alendronate, once a week tablet of osteophos.
3. Injection Teriparatide
Take balanced diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin D (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6.
Hope this information suffices.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.