question-icon

Can i have unprotected sex despite of having herpes?

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014
Question: If I have herpes, can I have unprotected sex with no or low risk to infecting the other person if I am not showing any symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You can infect her even if you have no symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

If you have genital herpes you can infect your partner even if you don't have symptoms of herpes at the moment.

If you have herpes, you should tell your sex partner(s) and let her know that you do and the risk involved.
Using condoms may help lower this risk but it will not get rid of the risk completely. Having sores or other symptoms of herpes can increase your risk of spreading the disease.

If the diagnosis of genital herpes is established ,you should have only protected intercourse by using condom every time,because even if you do not have any symptoms, you can still infect your sex partners.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any other question or doubt to clarify,I will be happy to help.

Take care!

Dr.Rovena Murati

Dr. Rovena Murati