Can i have Calcium and Vit D3 supplements for knee pain?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Sir, I am XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX AP. I am suffering mild knee pain for the past 3 years. I am 39 yrs, Male, Non smoker, weight 70 kg. For the past one month, along with mild knee pain, I am suffering from pain in the hips, neck pain, back pain in the middle of the spine. On the advice of an Ayurvedic Physician, I got my blood checked. Blood report mentioned Serum Calcium 8.0 (normal 8.5-11), CRP 5.3 (Normal 0.6 - 6 ), RA Factor 16 ( normal 0 -12), Vitamin D3 as 22.71 ( Sufficiency 30 - 100), ANA 0.55. I am presently on his ayurvedic medicines. Symptoms improved moderately only. What are the treatment options. Can I use Calcium and Vit D3 supplements along with Mg, B, Phophorus. Is it advisable to use Glucosamine sulphate with chondriotin Suplhate. If so, at what dose?

Thanking you,

Email : YYYY@YYYY
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D and calcium deficiency may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and the cause of your suffering seems to be due to deficiency of calcium and vitamin D.Having said that I would like to know -
1. Is there swelling present at joints?
2. Is there morning stiffness that is more pain in the morning which is relieved by movement? To better understand your problem.
Take balanced diet rich in calcium (1000mg/day) and vitamin D (1000 i.u. /day) along with vitaminB12, B6.Vitamin D is available in weekly dose pattern as well as injection, just talk to your local doctor. Take ibuprofen to reduce pain and do ice fomentation. Along with this you may do physical exercises to have early improvement.Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming; straight leg rising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.
You may take take glucosamine for your joint pain, the recommended dose of glucosamine sulphate is 1500mg and chondroitin sulphate is 800-1200mg daily in divides doses. This is usually given for 3 months and then 6 months off after there is symptomatic improvement. This is not a pain killer so additional medicines are required for pain control and optimum joint activity.

Hope this information suffices and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply sir,

Regarding swelling,
1. I don't have swelling in my knee or any other joints
2. I sufferred from morning stiffness of my hand fingers two weeks ago which is not present now ( after the ayurvedic physician gave ORTHONIL tablets i.e. probably calcium).

3. What are the rich sources of Calcium and Vit. D3 in South XXXXXXX diet? Veg. and Non Veg diet seperately.
4.Or Should I go for english medicines having Calcium and Vit. D3, B vitamins? Does they have any adverse side effects if taken in excess dose due to combined effect of dietary and medicine intake? if so, what are the names and dose of nutritional supplements for the above minerals and Vitamins, so that I can get from the Medical shop for use. How long should I use the nutritional supplements.

5. Which is the better option? Diet or Nutrient supplements or both combined?
6. Do I have any hope of early recovery? Are the symptoms in early stage or advanced stage of Osteoarthritis (OA)?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not lose hope you will get over it

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
My suggestion would be take diet rich in calcium like milk and milk product, Ragi , Mathidana,pulses (veg sources) and fish,chicken,eggs,mutton (non veg).
The decision lies with you to choose the allopathic calcium and vitamin D substitute/Ayurvedic as both are equally good. As a policy matter of our company we cannot prescribe you the dose of medicine as it require follow up and physical examination.
I have gone through your blood test and it does not have the serum uric acid report. So you may get it done.
The normal daily requirement of calcium and vitamin D is large as discussed earlier. Hence, it is must to supplement diet with adequate nutritional supplement by either Ayurvedic/allopathic means.
Do not lose hope you will get over it as you are young, weight in normal limit. Based on your symptoms it is early arthritis.

Hope this helps
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 41 hours later
1.Does ( Calcium and Vitamin D3) they have any adverse side effects if taken in excess dose due to combined effect of dietary and medicine intake?
2. How long should I take the dietary supplements?
3. As per my Blood report Uric Acid is 4.7 mg/dl ( Normal is 2.5 - 7.7)
3. My weight is 70 kg and Height is 165 cm
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Toxicity may occur when taken at high dose

Detailed Answer:
Hello
After going through the whole discussion my suggestion for you would be -
1.Multiple joint pain needs more specific blood test like Anti CCP antibody and HLA B27 to rule out rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.
2.For Vitamin D deficiency you may have injection Arachitol 6 lakh i.u. once a month for 3 month.
3.Regular physical exercises are must to have best effect of nutritional supplement.

Yes,there may occur toxicity of vitamin D and calcium If taken for a very long time (year) at a very high dose.It is uncommon as safety range is high.That's why I give vitamin D 60k once a week for 3 month then once a month for rest of life.This is monitored by blood test.The same goes for the calcium,given continuously for 3 months then a break for a month along with blood test.
You may follow the safe limit of calcium and vitamin D as discussed earlier.

Hope your queries are answered and If you have more do not hesitate.