Can i give piriton syrup for allergic cold and cough to my 3 years old son?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Question: My kid is 3 years 3 months old. He is having allergic cold for last 3-4 days, I had given him Cetrizine syrup for 2 days. Now he's having blocked nose and very frequent coughing. Can I give him piriton syrup ? or any other cough syrup ? ( Last time we visited a doctor for the allergic cold and cough , the prescribed medicine was Cetrizine syrup and Piriton syrup).
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes; you can add cough syrup formula... Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concerns. Symptoms of allergies take a while to respond especially when symptoms involve upper respiratory tract. If cough is troubling him a lot you can add cough syrup formula to the current regimen. As he tolerated piriton well earlier, you can safely add this to the existing treatment. In addition you may use saline nasal sprays to relieve blocked nose. Encourage him to drink plenty of warm fluids. Watch the progress of symptoms and consider visiting the doctor as and when needed. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards