Can i drive while being on Clonazepam?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I am taking Cymbalta for depression, but have recently started using a APAP machine--and with it Clonazepam 1mg for Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. The Clonazepam doesn't seem to help me fall asleep and I can't tell if i'm moving less--(my husband was never bothered by my 70 or more movements in an hour before) but I am just wiped out in the morning. I feel more drugged than rested. I wanted to go up to my classroom today to get ready for the school year--but I'm afraid to drive. I took the clonazepam more than 12 hours ago.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please, don't drive when you are not confident!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much this query.

I am so sorry to hear about all these symptoms that you have reported.

1. Please, get someone to help you monitor and tell whether the limb movements have reduced or not. If there is no change, then it may not be worth it to take medications that make no real change. Also, clonazepam is a controlled drug that can lead to dependence and would be nice getting on it only when the benefits are evident.

2. Driving while on clonazepam is not the best thing to do and more so when you are not feeling at 100% up to the task. I will suggest that you rather get someone to help drop you off than driving yourself.

3. Were you also investigated for restless leg syndrome? Was this ruled out as a possible explanation of your symptoms?

I wish you well. I hope to hear from you.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 minutes later
I don't drive when I'm impaired.
I've had 2 sleep studies.
I'd rather not take the drugs if they're going to make me incapable of functioning normally during the day.
I am a music teacher at the elementary and middle school level, including marching band so I certainly need my wits and my balance and reaction time to be sharp at all times.

It's been over 18 hours since I took the clonazepam. Should I still feel "off"?. That seems like an awfully long time to me. Yes, I've eaten since I took it. Both fatty and fibrous foods and have had plenty of water
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
18hours is a longtime!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up precision.

Courage and congrats on your activities. It calls for being always sharp in order to act and react fast.

Clearly, clonazepam would impair your degree of vigilance. The only reason why you may want to trade this for the drug would be if you are getting amazing control of your limb movements. After 18hours, the effects of this medication should no longer be felt that much. Hope you are feeling a lot better now.

And what is your response about a possible restless leg syndrome?

I wish you well.