Can i crush Doxycycl Hyc tablet and consume it?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
can I open a Doxycycl Hyc 100mg Blue Capsule West Ward 3142 , and sprinkle it on top of some fresh squeeze juice..can and will it still work?most the one antibiotics online for doxycycline hyclate say there pellots inside...these have powder
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detaled below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear !

I don't think it is a good idea to crush, break, or open a capsule. Swallow the pill whole.

It is specially made to release medicine slowly in the body. Breaking or opening the pill would cause too much of the drug to be released at one time. Therefore I prefer you take Doxycycline with a full glass of water (8 ounces) and not sprinkled on food/juice.
◦Do not take the medication with milk or other dairy products, unless your doctor has told you to. Dairy products can make it harder for your body to absorb the medicine.

All the best

Follow-up: Can i crush Doxycycl Hyc tablet and consume it? 36 minutes later
I should have added I have a problem swallowing pills..Would to much of the drug being released make it not work or just give me unwanted side effects? More curious if the drug will still work this way being opened

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
If you have difficulty swallowing the capsule, the capsule may be opened and the contents(pellets) sprinkled onto cool applesauce and you should take it immediately as directed.
Make sure not to crush or damage the pellets when breaking up the tablet.
Do not prepare a supply in advance.
Taking too much Doxocycline at one time can increase side effects.

Best regards