Can i continue Meftal for recurrent fever?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 7 years old daughter had high fever and doctor had prescribed 7ml Mefthal P 3 times a day for 3 days.
After 2nd day, she didnt have fever in the night, so I didnt put mefthal-p in the night. Was I suppose to put the medication? Should we complete the prescribed course for Mefthal-P just like any other antibiotics?
Today morning I find that she has slight temperature again.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no give only if she has fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Meftal should be given only for high fever above 102 degrees . If there is no fever , no need to give it. Generally it is better to avoid meftal and ibugesic . Plain paracetamol is the safest anti fever medicine especially in this season.
But if your child is having the fever continuously for 6 days,which requires basic workup to rule out malaria, dengue and typhoid.
Wishing your child goodhealth
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor,

Can you please let me know the dosage of Calpol 250 mg, Ibugesic plus and mefthal-P that can be given to a child of 7 yrs with 23 kgs?
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
7ml for all

Detailed Answer:
7 ml would be good dose for all three.
But only calpol can be given every 4 to 6 hours.
The others only every 8 hours .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari