Can i consume alcohol while on treatment for H.pylori infection?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi doctor
i have been taking ofloxacin + ornidazole tab , twice a day and levosulpride , for past 7 days and 1 tab of rabeprazole 40, once a day , in morning , possibly i been diagnosed with H. Pylori and been treated for that .
I want to know if i drink some alcohol , what will happen ?

Thank u
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol is contraindicated when on Ornidazole and Levosulpride.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,
Thanks for writing in to us at hcm.
This is Dr.Riyanka and I am glad to be helping you with your query.

Ornidazole belongs to Imidazole group of drugs that have shown serious drug interactions with alcohol . In severe conditions it can at times even lead to death. Hence, i would like to advice that Please stay away from Alcohol when treated with Ornidazole.

Ornidazole can cause Disulfiram like reactions by interacting with alcohol by inhibiting enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase thus causing inhibition of metabolism of acetaldehyde to acetate. The symptoms of this reaction can be:

1. Increase in heart rate
2. Breathing difficulty
3. Mental confusion, Nausea and Vomiting
4. Syncope
5. Headache and Visual disturbances

Also, Alcohol is known for increasing the sedative effects of Levosulpride.

Hence, Alcohol is contraindicated when on Ornidazole and Levosulpride.

Hope this answers your query. Don't worry .
Do write back if you have any further doubts.
Get well soon
Dr.Riyanka
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Riyanka Chail 25 minutes later
what could be the following cause of my problem , i havent been tested for H Pylori but my symptoms include long and loud burping , thats all , sometimes it worsen with the feeling of nausea , i do not have any reverse peristalsis or fliud thrown back up , but these burps make the condition worse , there is no heart burn / chest pain , motions are fine and clear , all test reports normal as in full body check up.
what could be cause for this?
i dont eat out , i dont eat spicy , i drink occassionally and take every precautions,
i have an athletic built , evrything is just fine apart from these burping.
please help
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Digestive enzymes like Aristozyme syrup can be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
Thanks for writing back again.

H pylori bacteria is found in around half of the world population. Since the route of transmission is oral oral or faeco oral route ,ts prevalence is more in developing countries like XXXXXXX

You are being treated for H. Pylori empirically so that there are no risks of peptic ulcer or gastric cancer in future.

A confirmatory investigation would be Endoscopic tests - Rapid urease test (RUT) and Histology.

Along with the medications you are taking , i would recommend digestive enzymes like Aristozyme syrup ( 1 cap after meal 2 times a day) that help in digestion and reduce burping.
Also kindly give up smoking and alcohol if you have these habits.

Do write back if you have any further doubts. If there are no more doubts then please close the discussion.
Get well soon
Dr.Riyanka

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Riyanka Chail