Can hypothyroidism cause swelling of the wrists and fingers with joints pain and stiffness?
All normal or negative. Waiting to get in to rheumatologist. Newest drug onboard is Singulaire due to cosmetic surgery in January. Otherwise I'm on Escitalopram, levothyroxine, multivitamin, vitamin D, and just finished last dose of Medrol today. Any insight for me? What would be the next step? TIA
Will like your doctor to rule out rheumatoid arthritis!
Hypothyroidism, if it is caused by an autoimmune destruction of the thyroid, means you are at increased risk of other autoimmune diseases.
The nature of your joint pain and the symmetric nature raises enormous concern about Rheumatoid arthritis.
True, RF is normal but there are a goof number of persons with this disease condition though with a negative RF screen.
I will recommend you see a rheumatologist as already spelt out by your treating doctor.
If need be to be on steroids for proper pain and inflammation control while the exact cause is identified and addressed, I will do so.
You need to steroids for at least three weeks at high doses before some of the feared side effects set in.
Keep me updated on how this unfolds. I wish you well and look forward to more exchanges as soon as I hear from you.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I look forward to your updates!
I look forward to your updates and do wish you well.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Calf pain or swelling with hypothyroidism
- Is joint pain, stiffness, or swelling a side effect of mercaptopurine?
- Hypothyroidism causing back pain
- What is the cause of stiff and painful wrists
- Is joint pain, stiffness, or swelling a side effect of bendamustine?
- What causes swelling and stiffness at the wrist
- Is joint pain, stiffness, or swelling a side effect of chlorothiazide?
- Is joint pain, stiffness, or swelling a side effect of asparaginase ?
- Pain and swelling in wrist stiffness reason
- Is joint pain, stiffness, or swelling a side effect of hydrochlorothiazide?
- CT scan showed cancer tumor inside liver. Swollen abdomen, little...
- Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like...
- Having blood pressure. Taking Sandoz Fenofibrate. Should I go for higher...
- Severe anal itching and rashes on buttocks. Suggest medication
- Stomach upset, gas and bloating. What could this be?
- Can I contract HIV through blowjob?
- Having swollen testicles. Could this be a sign of cancer?
- Had rectal prolapse surgery. Should I be concerned of having irregular...
- What causes numbness in toe?
- Is Hydrazine sulfate effective for cancer patients suffering from cachexia?