Can hypothyroidism cause irregular periods and foul menstrual odour?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have been having changes in my general vaginal odor, irregular periods, bleeding in between periods, foul menstrual blood odor (almost like rotten meat) and spotting. I went to the GYN and my PAP was normal, no infections and my hormones were checked by blood and were found to be normal. I do have hypothyroidism and my levels were off however, I seem to be okay as far as levels now. I'm not sure what's going on. I notice that 7 days after the first day of my period having like a mild fishy odor, then it will go away and I'll spot about 10-11 days after start day of period. I will have aching in my ovaries too, like ovulation but sometimes I will feel that inn as little as 7 days after first day of period. I also noticed that my periods seem to be every 26 days instead of 28. My GYN recommended having a sonogram of my uteris with a saline solution to check for polyps. I am very afraid of that procedure for pain and uncomfortability. I already feel like throwing up just from a PAP. I just dont know what to do or what could be possibly be going on with me
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Can be a normal variation.

Detailed Answer:

The irregular periods and mild spotting mid cycle can be a normal variation. Mild changes in thyroid levels, stress, exercise, fasting, etc can also cause such changes.

However, polyps need to be ruled out in case the spotting is persistent.

A sonogram is a harmless investigation and is painless. The saline test can be avoided and go for a sonogram first.

Vaginal infection is a possibility that has already been ruled out. You can try to keep the area dry and use only cotton undergarments to avoid any foul odour.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee