Can hypertension cause swollen feet and legs?
A regular consultation of physician & good life style would help.
Hi XXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for the query . I have read it & understand your concern.
The high blood pressure can cause edema feet with two possible causes... it can be involvement of heart( where blood flow to lower limbs diminishes where body tends to retain fluid). or kidney due to long standing hypertension (Kidneys tend to retain sodium/ water thus causing volume overload & retainsion of fluid causing edema feet )
Your mother is taking Tazolac40.. which is helpful in preventing stroke as well as controlling blood pressure & Amifru 4o for reducing the swelling of feet by correcting filtration of retained salt & water by disturbed kidneys.
* The maintenance of blood pressure to normal level & prevent swelling on feet becomes a delicate balance between the blood pressure medicine & diuretic .
* for this she needs a specified examination to assess her heart/ kidney / diabetes ( if any ) by an expert to find the exact cause of swelling followed by specific medication to improve the specified organ function.
- Change in dosage of the medicines combined with regular & periodic assessment of her blood pressure level would be necessary to come to an appropriate dosage,-
- Control of diabetes is needed to arrest the progress of the disease.
- Some times changing the medication may be needful.
I would advise to consult her doctor( physician ) & get his help in this respect. After assessing her health he may refer her to a cardiac/ kidney specialist
* Few life style changes like -
-Reducing extra weight by eating a nourishing & controlled caloric diet
- Doing regular suitable exercises along with mind concentration exercises to have a positive & composed mind ... like meditation
- restriction of sodium ( common salt ) in diet.
- Avoid alcohol or smoking
- Take the medication advised regularly.
* Thus suitable medication taken regularly, with regular review by the treating doctor & ideal life style changes are the majors which would have a permanent solution to the problem .
I hope the answer was informative & helpful to you.Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hypertension swollen left earlobe
- Hypertension and swollen freckled ankles
- Hypertension and swelling in feet
- Hypertension tingling in bottom of feet
- Legs hypertension causes
- Swollen carotid pulmonary hypertension
- Hypertension and a swollen temple vein?
- Hypertension causes
- Hypertension and tight feeling in feet
- Hypertension and swollen lymph nodes
- Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?
- Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at...
- Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after...
- Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain...
- Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What...
- Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel...
- What causes headaches?
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for foot infection
- What causes severe hair loss?