Can holding urination for long time lead to urinary retention?
It is possible for bladder not to empty completely on holding urination .
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have recently done ultrasound scanning of abdomen after holding on urination for a long time and your Post Void Residual Urine volume has been reported to be 95 cc.
I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem
1) hat is the size of the prostate reported on scanning ?
2) Do you have any obstructive voiding symptoms like frequency .urgency .poor urine stream etc suggestive of Enlarged Prostate ?
3) Have yo done Uroflowmetry ?
There is a contraction of External Urinary Sphincter which prevents urination when one attempts to hold on urination for a long time in spite of severe urge for urination this phase of contraction of the sphincter is continued to some extent even on starting urination which results in to incomplete emptying of bladder giving rise to false reporting of Post Void Residual Urine to be more .
You can repeat Ultrasound Scanning after few days to be rest assured about the real fact .
Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
You need to repeat Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen .
Thanks for high lighting new fact that you have undergone laser ablation of your prostate 2 years ago ..
As regard your query about relation between urine volume to start with and residual urine I would state that bladder empties most of the urine and residual urine volume is in not related to initial urine volume .
Residual urine is the urine that remains in bladder after completion of urination and signifies obstructive pattern of voiding .
In view of history of previous laser surgery I would suggest you consul your Urologist and to do following two tests .
1) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen to rule out recurrence of prostate enlargement or Residual prostate volume
2) Retrograde Cysto Urethrogram and Micturating Cystogram (MCU) to rule out possibility of narrowing of urethra (Stricture Urethra)which does happen after endoscopic surgery .
Thanks and Regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Colonoscopy urinary retention
- Tramadol and urinary retention
- Dilaudid and urinary retention
- Robaxin and urinary retention
- Bethanechol for urinary retention
- Im pregnant and urinary retention
- Ovarian cyst urinary retention
- Urinary retention in newborn
- Bladder scan for urinary retention
- Causes of urinary retention