Can hives be a reaction to a PPD shot?
While rare, such reactions have been reported in the literature and it seems that you have an allergy to one of the chemical components of the PPD itself. What you experienced is a form of anaphylaxis where not only did you have a skin rash but you developed edema or swelling with the joint pain as well.
The appropriate treatment for this is generally a steroid taper and sometimes benadryl for symptomatic relief. It may be that your body is still recovering from the exposure and you may need an extended prednisone taper for another 7 to 10 days. You might consider consulting an immunologist regarding this and you may benefit from a consultation and some testing to see what else you might be allergic to. They have some skin tests which can be quite informative in helping reduce exposure to foods or chemicals which might trigger a subtle reaction or something more severe which you experienced with the PPD.
I am sure this was quite a stressful experience for you but let me assure you that you will recover with some time and possibly may benefit from an extension of the prednisone. I would discuss that with your primary physician.
I thank you again for your query. I hope you fuond my answer to be both informative and helpful. Should you have additional concerns regarding this issue I would be happy to address them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Benadryl for hives allergic reaction
- Allergic reaction to ibuprofen hives
- Allergic reaction skin hives
- Ppd skin test and hives
- Hives reaction ppd skin test
- Allergic reaction to shrimp hives
- Allergic reaction hives
- Hives from pneumonia shot
- Cortisone shots for hives
- Can hives be a reaction to a ppd shot
- What does "biapical pleural thickening through the lung apices" in CT...
- Muscle mass, lack of facial hair, male breasts, testosterone, hormonal...
- Bells palsy, minor trauma, medication, platelet function, bleeding, bruises
- Eye weakness, viral infection, nerve weakness in eye, bells palsy
- No period for 9 months, high prolactin levels, microandenoma,...
- Is pregnancy possible with inconsistent pregnancy test results and heavy...
- Can Plan B cause spotting and blood clots in urine ?
- Salt in Chinese food, tachycardia, pulse rate 150, BP under control
- How can genetically obtained dry skin be treated ?
- Diabetes, high BP, renal failure, serum creatinine high, loss of...