Can hip problems cause back pain?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
We had spoke a few days ago and I was asking you of Hip Bursitis can cause back Pain,. I had a MRI done of the Hip, The findings are as follows. Anterior/ superior Labral tear with 5 mm cyst. Joint effusion with no discrete cartilage defect. Degeneration gluteal tendons at their insertion with perittronchanteric edema. ( So No Bustits as I originally was told )

I also have a partial labrial tear on my right hip as well which was confirmed about 6 months ago. Would This contribute to the back pain that I have been having, from This hip condition ? As The Pain started right around the same time when the left side labrium had torn.

Thanks again
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes hip problems can cause back pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for your question,

Interestingly the gluteal insertion and peritrochanteric oedema would give you symptoms and signs that would be identical to trochanteric bursitis and may well improve with the same treatment modalities.

Yes hip problems can cause back pain and this is likely because of the limp that accompanies a hip problem which causes a lurch or excessive truck shift over the affected hip.

If after taking a medical history and performing a physical examination your doctor feels that the labral tear is contributing to your symptoms then the first question to ask is - If there a bony abnormality in the hip that has contributed to the fact that you have a labral tear in particular do you have ace tabular dysplasia or a cam on the femoral neck. A CT scan or special X-rays are often required to determine this as this must be addressed at the same time as the labral tear if your treating Dr is to successfully improve your symptoms. These problems with the hip can now be dealt with almost exclusively by arthroscopic treatment - i.e. minimally invasive surgery.

I hope this further answers your question.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Can hip problems cause back pain? 11 minutes later

I already have a hip Impigment on my other hip for the last 2 years without any back issues, Now that the other hip has a tear, I started having back pain shortly afterwards.

Can Physical Therapy provide any benefit to the Hip, That would ease The back at all ?

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes Physio would be useful

Detailed Answer:
hi,

thanks for your follow up question. certainly physiotherapy would be beneficial to strengthen the hip girdle musculature and your para spinal muscles.

best wishes

Follow-up: Can hip problems cause back pain? 11 hours later
Sorry I mean to ask if The Physical Therapy would help with the gluteal tendons even though the MRI said that there was degeneration

I know it wont do anything for the Labrel tear. I was wondering if by tightning up the gluteal tendons would help with the gait issue and take the back pain away.

Thanks so much for all your advice

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes PT should help

Detailed Answer:
hi,

physiotherapy will likely help all of the symptoms in your hip, both from the labral pathology and the gluteal tendinopathy.

for instance in the knee joint patients with meniscal tears and pain will improve with Physio to the point where up to 50 percent will not want surgery.

I hope this answes your question.

best wishes

Follow-up: Can hip problems cause back pain? 2 hours later
Last and final question. Even Though There is Degeneration of the gluteal tendons that were mentioned in The MRI report. Would it be safe to do Physical Therapy with Degeneration being present in the Tendons themselves ? I am was not sure If that fact that they have Degeneration,
effects the Muscle stretches that are going to be needed to speed up recovery, Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy appropriate

Detailed Answer:
hi,

thanks for your question

all of us over the age of 25 have some degree of tendon degeneration!

degenerative tendinopathy is very common and physiotherapy is a good and appropriate treatment modality.

best wishes