Can high uric acid levels lead to pain in ankle?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having a lot of pain in ankle many times. I read about same that it can be either due to over weight or due to some uric acid problems. please advice on same.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

Ankle pain is a non specific complaint and I will not be able to arrive at a conclusion based on this symptom alone. It may be related to mechanical factors - weight, arch / alignment of foot, bone pathology, trauma, thyroid disorders, venous condition and many more conditions. Without physical examination and detailed evaluation we cannot come to a single diagnosis.

Pain secondary to high uric acid usually starts with small joints such as toes and finger. Ankle joint pain may or may not be due to high uric acid. However it is worthwhile to get uric acid tested to rule out high uricemia.

Therefore in my opinion, it is worthwhile to consult an orthopedician. A detailed examination of the ankle joint and other body system along with battery of tests will be needed. Until then there is no harm in using over the counter pain killer as and when required along with warm compresses.

Hope this helps.