Can high cholesterol levels cause miscarriage?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: Hi! i am 41 , weigh 136 lbs and I have LDL cholesterol levels 137 and HDL 54. I was recently pregnant but had a miscarriage at 8 weeks. Could there be any correlation between the miscarriage and my cholesterol levels? Does cholesterol lower progesterone?
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. No. There is no correlation between cholesterol with miscarriage.

2. They dont even reduce progesterone in the body.

3. The probable cause of miscarriage in you appears to be related to your age.

4. Miscarriage is common as age increases. Especially after 35.

5. Since you are 41 the chromosomal problems of fetus in your age group is common reason for miscarriage.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol