Can high MCHC count lead to itching of the skin?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello.... i am having bouts of itching skin for several months now... no rash ... i have anemia but not yet diagnosed as MDS. But i do know i have high MVC and MCH while MCHC is normal, however right on the border of 31.0. Does this contribute to itching skin? will i have leukemia ?

I am deaf... pls note that i use relay service agent to interpret your voice messages into sign language video for me. relay # 00000000000

forgot to add that i had bone marrow biopsy 6 years ago and it came back inconclusive for MDS from Mayo Clinic,
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
leukemia would cause an increase in white cell count

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Leukemia can cause itching but would be associated with an increase in white blood cell count in your complete blood count test.
It is an abnormality of the bone marrow where these cells are produced and causes very high numbers to be found.

If your white cell count is within normal range or close to normal range, then it is highly unlikely that you have leukemia or lymphoma.

The increase in MCV and MCH would not normally cause itching of the skin. They can be associated with alcohol use or liver disease in some persons.

Other causes of persistent itching skin: (1) allergies
(2) autoimmune diseases- when body essentially 'fighting itself"-eg dermatomyosistis, sjogren
(3)fungal infections
(4)liver disease
(5)kidney disease
(6)iron deficiency anemia- not likely because you would seen a low mcv and mch
(7)polycythemia vera

You can consider blood tests to check the kidney and liver, if there are symptoms that may point to autoimmune diseases then this can be checked as well.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions