Can herpes be contracted through sexual intercourse?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: If I had sex with somebody that had herpes will I be infected?
What can I do to protect myself?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There exist the risk to get HSV2 during sexual intercourse.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your history you should know that there exist the risk to get HSV2 during sexual intercourse.
First you should get tested to see if you are infected as well with HSV2 or not
Furthermore,you can be infected with herpes even when your partner doesn' t have symptoms or sores. To help prevent that, you should always avoid intercourse during the symptoms are present, use a latex condom or dental dam for oral sex and your partner should take 1 tb valacyclovir every day.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 18 minutes later
How long should i wait to see if I was infected. I just had sex with her last night?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should test after 3 weeks and than after 3 months from exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

You should get tested for HSV 2 IGG after 3 weeks from exposure and than retest again after 3 months.
But it is better that you get tested now to see if you have been infected before this exposure.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 16 minutes later
Thanks for getting back to me. I know I wasn't infected before because I had the same partner for nearly 40 years. I lost my partner to cancer a year ago and just had my first sex since then. The lady I was with last night said I don't have to worry but I am.

what are chances that I wasn't infected.

Can I please get response to my last questions?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is a 4-10% chance of transmitting it.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing back.

You should know that the risk of transmmition of HSV2 to a partner is highest during an outbreak (times when a sore is present). When your partner is not experiencing an outbreak, there is a 4-10% chance of transmitting it.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana