• question-icon

Can hepatitis infection be contracted through sharing a toothbrush?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi there wondering if you could help! I have OCD and by accent used my friends toothbrush. I didn't notice any blood my gums sometimes bleed but I didn't notice this.... if there was any blood inviseable to naked eye can I get hep b I'm terrified :(
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you shouldn't worry too much...

Detailed Answer:

since there was no visible blood, the risk for transmission is very close to zero. You can indeed get hepatitis B from sharing a toothbrush with an infected individual but some blood contact is required. You can just ask your friend whether he has hepatitis B or not or do some tests (both of you) to find out. If you've been vaccinated against hepatitis B then the chances of transmission are even lower. The only chance for transmission in vaccinated persons involves failure of vaccination (and lack of protective antibodies - which can be measured in the blood).

So, please don't worry too much. The risk is very very low even if he has hepatitis and you there are ways to find out if you're at risk.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Thank you doctor would i have to see visabl
Blood sorry just have ocd :( hate being like this e
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
without visible blood the risk is extremely low

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

I can't say that the risk is an absolute zero percent without visible blood. I can say that the risk very very low. The risk may be different depending on the condition of the infected person. For example a person with active hepatitis may be more infectious than a person with chronic inactive hepatitis. Just check your vaccination status, do the tests and ask your friend if he can help...

Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis