question-icon

Can hepatitis C be cured?

Posted on Thu, 25 Sep 2014
Question: My name is XXXX. I have/had Hep C. Since my second round of Interferon 11yrs ago, I have been in remission with all viral count blood test coming up negative for Hep C. My present family doctor said if it's been 11yrs, it's not in remission, it's cured. Is this really true that it is "Cured" rather than in remission? Or is this opinion by my doctor still a controversy in saying that it is Cured.

Thank you for your help in this matter.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is probably cure. Confirm with immunoblot assay

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

If your Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test for Hepatitis C RNA is negative for 11 years, it is most probable that you have cleared the virus completely and are cured of the disease. A recombinant immunobolt assay may be done to confirm. It should be positive and PCR should be negative. This confirms that you had the disease before and have cleared the virus and you are cured.

I hope this answers your query.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Noble Zachariah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Noble Zachariah