Can heartburn cause back pain?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can heartburn make you hurt in the back
Im not really gavng chest pains im belching
My stomach is burning i have gerd im thinikg its heartattacj symptoms the past couple days ill have palpations my chest will hurt i also hace anxitey
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably GERD

Detailed Answer:
and welcome in HCM.

I gone through your concern.

According to the history you explain in my opinion its not like a heart pain.
GERD usually generate pain in the chest,abdomen or back.
But we have to exclude heart problems and yoiu should do as follows :
ECG
CHEST X RAY
Cardiac enzymes

If they come negative your doctor will prescribe you antiacid medications (like Omeprazol ) and you should be careful with foods and not to be stressed as well.
Feel free to ask me again
Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 19 minutes later
Had two ekgs last year they were normal chest xray normal also
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If the pain gets worse go to the ER for medical help

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The most probability is to be a stomach ache or stress.

Talk with your doctor and explain the situation.He will advice you to do for further examinations of the stomach :
Fibrogastroscopy examinations

And after may be should potentiate the GERD treatment but do not worry so much because this aggravates more the situation.

I wish you a fast recovery

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy