Can heart palpitation be a symptom of atrial fibrillation?

Dr. Basheer Ahamed

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hi I occasionally get heart palpatations such as fast heart beats and the occasional skipped beat. Is this atrial fibrillation? Can it cause stroke?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Palpitations. Detailed Answer: Hello, Heart palpitations are feeling of rapid, fluttering and pounding heartbeat. It can be brought about by stress, medicines, exercise and rarely underlying medical conditions. In most cases it is worrisome but harmless. But if it is due to irregular heartbeat(arrhythmias) then it may be life threatening and needs treatment. Atrial fibrillation is irregular heartbeat due to poor blood circulation. Here the upper part of the heart quiver instead of of beating properly. So blood can pool and cause clot to form. If the blood clot breaks and travel to the block the brain arteries. It can cause STROKE. In such conditions I would advise my patients to undergo some tests like ECG, Holter monitoring, Chest X ray and echocardiogram. These investigations will help the doctor to rule out any underlying medical condition causing palpitation and treat it if any. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know it there is any clarification. regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 days later
I did get some test done before. I had a 24 hour monitor and a treadmill stress test. The thing is though, I did not have palpitations while these tests were being conducted. What would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Upload your reports of the test. Detailed Answer: Hello, If you can upload the reports of the tests it would be helpful for me to give a valuable opinion. Nevertheless is to good news the you had no palpitation while conducting treadmill test and you completed it. You according to me the palpitation may not be due to any cardiac conditions. Wait for your result. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D