Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

156 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can gout occur from normal uric acid levels?

Answered by
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1936 Questions

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Can a person get gout with normal uric acid levels?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:


Detailed Answer:


but normal blood uric acid level does not exclude gout.

And in this case, gout diagnosis is confirmed by the clinical presentation of inflamed joints and response to anti-inflammatory medications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
On the WebMD web site it says that gout symptoms last a few days, I've been having soreness in my wrists and hands for over a month now. Is this possible? I have very limited use of my hands.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 15 hours later
Brief Answer:

Yes, possible

Detailed Answer:


Acute attack of gout lasts for a couple of days, in which the pain is severe.

However, the symptoms of gout can last up to two months following the acute attack.

Steroid medication helps to control the inflammation within the joint but it is also important to keep the uric acid levels under the level of 5 mg.

Another point is that there might be uric acid crystals within the joint and they could be the reason of the attack in the first place.

It takes time for the crystals to dissolve and while dissolving their position within the joint might change causing additional pain.

However, I would recommend that you exclude other causes of painful joints such as vitamin b12 and vitamin D deficiency by taking a blood test for their levels in blood.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on