Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Can gout occur around the ankle joint and feet?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
...Can gout occur around the ankle joint, ie:flare ups in the ankles skin, hot to the touch, fluid filled, small hard balls felt under Skin around ankle .pain is around ankle joint. Swelling does encompass all of foot and ankle tender to the touch. Can gout occur in both feet at the same time? The pictures I am submitting the swelling has gone down significantly ..
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on HCM
Yes gout can occur around any joint area and usually joints of the lower extremities from knee, ankle, joints of the feet etc. I can affect more than 2 joints in severe gout attacks. Most at times it affects only one joint. Do you have a family history of gout attacks or gouty arthritis? If yes, then it is most likely going to be a gout attack. Your description and picture is typical of a gouty attack but could also be due to polyarthritis (septic/non-septic). This could also be rheumatoid arthritis (which would have been a chronic condition).
What to do now? See a doctor, run some tests such as serum rheumatoid factor, ASLO, serum uric acid and blood panel, x-ray etc. This will determine the exact cause so that proper treatment can be given. If given, then antigout medications should be started, even though if allowed could subside on its own ( as your case is presenting). But it is better to get a confirmatory diagnose so as to be sure if you get another attack and to also put into place a good preventive method like gout diets (low purine diets) etc.

Hope this helps
D Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can gout occur around the ankle joint and feet? 1 hour later
thank you, I should say that I have had this happen many times, most of the time is has been on one side others have been on both, one so severe I looked as if I had elephantitis all the way up to my knees on both legs. I have turn to this forum because I have been to the ER a many times over the past years to no avail. At times the fluid build up gets to a point I can actually feel the "slashing" of the fluid when I walk.. There are the constants.. One being I find no rhyme or reason of when/how/what I do that will cause a flare up. Also, Without taking medication this will always go away. The skin is ALWAYS hot. But SOMETIMES all of my skin above and below gets to painful to even rub against/be touch. Guaranteed the PAIN will at least will ALWAYS surrounding the outside facing ankle bone of my foot/feet. Never my toes. I have had this going on for at least 4 years plus years. I can not tell you family history due to adoption. My foot/feet show know visible signs of deformity in the bones, there are many red blotchy areas, and blown out veins. I am aware that you could not diagnose, adding in the above does this help with any thing additional you could add. Currently I am in California visiting my son, having a flare up , perhaps a visit to an ER outside Massachusetts may help.?? Thank You DR. Sincerely XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 45 minutes later

Thanks for updating.
After reading through again, you are most probably suffering from gouty arthritis which apparently has never been treated. I think your doctor should run a uric acid test just to be sure. Also doing a serum rheumatoid factor to rule out rheumatoid arthritis (even though you are not presenting with obvious deformations) and also rule out septic arthritis. Non-septic arthritis can also be the cause ( but your condition is most likely going to have a cause)
I think you should visit the ER or just take some pain killers to manage the pain until you can see your doctor. You should be placed on allopurinol and colchicine to manage the gout. Recurrent flare ups, painful swellings in joint areas, your age 48, and being a female sums up to the risk factors of gouty arthritis. Uric acid testing to confirm is needed.

Hope this was helpful and please do write me in the future to confirm the definitive diagnosis. I will be interested in knowing how you are doing.

Take care
Dr Nsah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor