• question-icon

Can genital herpes be contracted through oral sex?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am a 73 yr old female who recently found out she has genital herpes. I am currently taking Valtrex for prevention of an outbreak. I recently met a gentleman who has indicated that he would like to have oral sex with me. I am afraid but am too embarrassed to tell him. Is it safe for me?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Genital herpes can spread to him if he licks your genitalia

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Herpes spreads through direct contact, especially from active and crusting lesions. I assume that you do not have them at present. Your having genital herpes therefore increases the risks of transmission in case that person licks your genitalia. It is not the other way round. Your risks from oral sex would depend on his status and not yours.

I hope that I have been able to clarify. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
I asked this question previously but I'm not sure whether it was submitted the gentleman is 80 years old and has a heart condition I misspoke my question before I'm concerned about him is there any chance that he could contact herpes if I'm not having a Breakout
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lesions around mouth/lips still possible.

Detailed Answer:
In case of absence of active lesions the chances are less but is not zero. However, the transmission will not give him genital herpes but could give him labial herpes in case of oral sex. Labial herpes resembles the cold sores that one often develops around lips during fevers.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha