Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Can genital herpes be contacted through intercourse?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1417 Questions
If your lady partner has genital herpes and had it for several years she has outbreak about once a year. But in the mist of y'all having protected sex the condemn comes off and you notice after about a minute it came off can you get infected by her vaginal fluid with no outbreak are anything like that.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your partner had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though chances are very less to have transmission with these precautions specially when she is not activately infected or having lesions at this time to shed infection however chances of having herpes virus in secretions does exist and exposure even for little time can be enough to transmit disease though with degree of exposure, infectivity and time of exposure the chances are more than that in your case.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can genital herpes be contacted through intercourse? 46 minutes later
So basically my chances are low to none by her not having any outbreak re lesions at the time. And your saying vaginal fluids can carry the infection but during the time of the outbreak am I correct just making sure I understand fully.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes but a check in your symptoms is safer

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes yiu are right but it's better to keep a check on your symptoms and if any case of itching or skin lesion get it reviewed urgently by a dermatologist. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor