Can genital herpes be contacted through intercourse?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: If your lady partner has genital herpes and had it for several years she has outbreak about once a year. But in the mist of y'all having protected sex the condemn comes off and you notice after about a minute it came off can you get infected by her vaginal fluid with no outbreak are anything like that.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your partner had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though chances are very less to have transmission with these precautions specially when she is not activately infected or having lesions at this time to shed infection however chances of having herpes virus in secretions does exist and exposure even for little time can be enough to transmit disease though with degree of exposure, infectivity and time of exposure the chances are more than that in your case.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 46 minutes later
So basically my chances are low to none by her not having any outbreak re lesions at the time. And your saying vaginal fluids can carry the infection but during the time of the outbreak am I correct just making sure I understand fully.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes but a check in your symptoms is safer

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes yiu are right but it's better to keep a check on your symptoms and if any case of itching or skin lesion get it reviewed urgently by a dermatologist. Regards