Can generic Crestor cause weight gain?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been taking Crestor for about 4 years with no side effects. Recently I was changed to a generic and I gained about 5 lbs due to water retention. I switched back to Crestor but am still having issues with water retention. I only weight about 124 lbs but suddenly gained to 130 in one month.

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

The weigh gain may be a side effect of generic and if this is your case you will get back your weigh within 2 weeks. I would suggest taking a water pill to help you to restore your weigh.

If your weigh will be high again after 2 weeks than other causes are to be blamed especially heart failure and anemia. This is why I would recommend to do meantime the following exams:
- Blood work
- Cardiac echo

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu