question-icon

Can gallstones create pressure on your lungs or cause right-sided discomfort?

Posted on Tue, 14 Jan 2020
Question: can gallstone create pressure on your lungs or feels like your having trouble with your lung on the right side. I have been diagnosed with gall stones and feel like I have pressure on that side and bloated. please help...
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No sir.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient and thanks for asking query on this forum,
I would like to tell you sir that abdomen and thorax(chest) are seperated by a layer of muscular structure called diaphragm so pressure in abdomen would not be radiated to thorax(which contains lung).
Bloating is always suggestive of fact that food is not being digested properly.Incomplete fermentation of food secretes large amount of toxic gases which compresses the intestines hence would lead to heaviness in abdomen which may be felt in chest also as nerve innervation and many of the side branches are arising from the same main nerve.But as such the answer to your query is no.
Suggestion
Baseline cardiac investigations to be done.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar (20 minutes later)
I'm wondering could it affect your diafram? just pressure on your diafram.. I had a cardiac evaluation done and all test are perfect except having huge gallstones
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again
Which cardiac tests were done on you?
Was a 2d echocardiogram.and tread mill test done?
Was a pulmonary function test done?
Please reply.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar (18 minutes later)
I had ecocardiogram, ekg, 24 holter monitor, blood work, CT Angiomgram.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (14 hours later)
Brief Answer:
go for a PFT.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Pulmonary function test should be done as issue is related directly with lungs.

follow up with reports.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist