Can gallbladder polyp cause any symptoms?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: 2mm gallbladder polyp on ultrasound Canthis cause symptoms
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Studies showed that polyps smaller than 5 mm rarely cause any symptoms and those sized 1-3 mm can be ignored actually and these are usually just accidental findings during abdominal ultrasound. The risk of malignant potentional of such small polyps is negligible. Cholecystectomy is recommended for those larger than 10 mm or increasing in size while polyps larger than 5mm should be checked by ultrasound once a year. So in your case,if there is no associated gallbladder stone or symptoms of gallbladder attack, I dont think that any treatment is necessary and you should not have any symptoms caused by this polyp. If you dont have stone and you have gallbaldder issue symptoms,you should do HIDA scan to check gallbaldder motility. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards