Can frontal sinusitis lead to headaches?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
My wife has frontal sinusitis, suggested according to the PNS xray report. She feels serious headache over the eyes and in forehead. Can you please suggest what to do?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Tylenol and cold compress for pain relief!

Detailed Answer:

I will recommend tylenol and cold compresses for pain relief. definitive treatment depends on the cause of this sinusitis and whether it is acute of chronic.

If it is acute, then she requires antibiotics and anticongestants such as carbocysteine. These would treat the acute infection. This, alongside pain medications, adapted to address her pain.

If this is chronic, she would need pain control for now and I will recommend a CT-Scan of the sinus. If there is a blockage, then she would benefit from drainage of the sinus.

In all, Tylenol and cold compress at this time for pain control. Further care depends on nature and time since diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 minutes later
Any dose recommendation for Carbocysteine? She is having the pain for some long time now. I suppose this would be chronic. Is there any difference between using CT Scan for PNS instead of Xray for PNS?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:

CT scan has a better resolution!

Detailed Answer:

A Ct scan is a lot better at looking at the sinus as well as making such major decisions that may require surgery. What do you mean by PNS?

I recommend 1500mg of carbocysteine daily in three divided doses.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist