Owl Image

Can focal stenosis cause headaches, neck pain and dizziness?

Owl Image
Dr. Eris Ranxha

Neurologist

Question
Hi, I have a question relating to 24/7 headaches, especially in the occipital region as well as persistent neck pain, dizziness, & visual symptoms. I had a blunt head injury a few years ago. Recent MRA neck imaging shows focal stenosis of the left vertebral artery at the origin; a head MRA was also done and indicates focal stenosis of proximal right middle cerebral artery (M1 segment). I don't think the stenosis is super significant but could it cause symptoms?
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not related

Detailed Answer:
Dear
I am sorry for the trauma and symptoms you are suffering.
Carotid or intracerebral stenosis can cause stroke but they never are shown clinically with headache.
In my opinion you should consult your neurologist and your headache should be treated as a primary headache probably chronic daily headache
I think that a combination of medicaments (antidepressant + pain killer) will be efficient
Anyway I don't think the stenosis are the cause of your headache
An aspirin should be started
Best regards
Hope my answer help you
Dr Eris Ranxha
Neurologist